Calm waters will be easier for children to navigate and paddle on and safer. Starting off on calm waters will help your child build their confidence and skills on the water. Especially if your child has never been out on a kayak trip before, or if they are quite young or a novice level beginner.
Plan Morning Excursions
We don’t want to push your children too far. Kayaking in the morning when energy levels are high and take a break for lunch and resting. If everyone feels up to it, we can continue kayaking throughout the afternoon.
We prefer to do shorter paddling journeys with kids which allows for plenty of time for breaks on shore. Once on shore you can explore the area and look for wildlife. Breaking up a journey like this will also keep your children interested.
Some Basic Kayaking Rules
Make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable paddle by introducing some basic rules:
- No jumping in or out of the kayak
- Be mindful of where you hold your paddle.
- Paddles should only be used to paddle.
- Life vests stay on until the kayak adventure ends
- No standing or leaning while in the kayak
- Wear Protective Clothing: Hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, long pants, and long-sleeved shirts should be worn when you are out on the water. Being on water you are more likely to get sun burn since the UV rays are reflecting off the water as well as beaming down from the sun.
Bring a Buddy
Experiencing the great outdoors is always much more enjoyable when you can do so with friends. Your child is no exception and when they can bring a friend along, they will look forward to the trip even more.
When they have a friend with them, your child will be more relaxed, entertained, and will have more fun. Not to mention they will make great memories and bond closer with their friend.
Keep your Kids Entertained out of the Water
Bring along a few bits to keep kids entertained. Some of our suggestions include:
- A toy boat to use alongside the kayak
- A waterproof camera
- Building blocks
- A doll wearing a life vest
- A toy or small fishing line
Snacks, Snacks and More Snacks
Kids are always in need of a bite to eat, especially when they are doing activities that require a lot of their energy. Keep their energy levels up by providing plenty of snacks and water. If you are bringing your family along on a Hello Nature Adventure, let us know in advance if your children have a favourite snack.
What Tours do we Recommend for Kids
Most of all – Keep it fun!!!